Zdroj: Anglo-American University

Entry formalities

If you have been accepted for university studies in the Czech Republic, you should check whether you need a visa to enter the country. This depends on your nationality.

changes  to the act on the residence of foreign nationals

List of changes made by the amendment to the Act on the Residence of Foreign Nationals with effect as of July 31st, 2019 is available for download in section of Important Notices in pdf here. Information for university students (as in the picture) for 3rd country nationals regarding the changes can be downloaded here

Students from EU/EEA and Switzerland

Students from EU/EEA countries and Switzerland are exempt from student visa requirements. To enter the Czech Republic, EU students only need a valid passport or national ID card.  

EU students have, however, a reporting duty after their arrival if the intended stay in the Czech Republic is longer than 30 days. In this situation, within 30 days of entering the Czech Republic, a student is required to report his/her presence to the Foreign Police Department in the location of his/her stay in the Czech Republic. This obligation does not apply if the person providing accommodation submits the registration forms on behalf of the student, i.e. in case of stays in student dormitories.

For more information regarding the stay of EU citizens and their family members in the Czech Republic click here. Information leaflets for EU citizens and their family members are available here.

Students from countries outside the EU

Students from countries outside the EU have to turn to the local Czech embassy or consulate and apply for a student visa. Please note, that the whole procedure requires some paperwork  and can take up to 60 days, so it is recommended to apply for the visa well in advance. The regulations for obtaining visas change from time to time, so the information listed here should be considered as guidelines only. You should always consult your local Czech embassy or consulate or check the website of the Ministry of Interior of the Czech Republic for the latest information regarding visa requirements.

There are short-term visas (for stays up to 90 days) and long-term visas (for stays over 90 days). Students arriving for a period longer than one year should apply for a long-term residence permit for study purposes

The following documents are mainly required for receiving a student visa or a residence permit:

  • application form

  • letter of acceptance for studies

  • valid passport and passport photos

  • proof of financial resources for the stay (e.g. in the form of a bank account statement or confirmation of being beneficiary of a grant)

  • confirmation of guaranteed accommodation

  • valid international health insurance

  • abstract from the Register of Criminal Records

Please note that some documents (e.g. the abstract from the Register of Criminal Records) must be translated into Czech language by a translator with an official rubber stamp.

The Foreign Police examines the visa applications and notifies the Czech embassy or consulate to issue the visa.

Registering with the Czech Foreign Police

Registration at the Foreign Police Department is compulsory for all foreign nationals staying in the Czech Republic for more than 30 days. They must register within 3 days from the date of arrival to the country. Read more about this obligation here.

More information