Czech science has always had a very strong voice in the world. Czechia has achieved international renown in areas ranging from Egyptology to high-tech fields such as non-woven nanofibers. There are currently 9 centers of excellence and more than 40 regional research centers. Moreover, the new Innovation Strategy of Czechia 2019-2030 was recently announced by the Czech government. With its new strategy titled Czech Republic: The Country for the Future, Czechia aims to become an innovation leader in Europe.
research and development
Public higher education institutions play an important role in research and development. Their success in this field can be seen for example in:
- The new treatments for cancer and hematological and urological diseases,
- the development of new construction technologies,
- the advanced materials and cooperation on international projects (e.g. in collaboration with CERN and the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research in Dubna).
European Union funds are helping to further develop higher education research infrastructure including
- the construction of centers of excellence in research focused on the development of laser systems,
- biomedical and materials science,
- energy research and complex mathematical modeling in the natural, medical, and technical sciences.
A strong focus of Czechia on science and innovation can be demonstrated on concrete current projects of Czech scientists and companies, such as
- nanotechnological coatings to improve air quality,
- a system of effective drainage of water from desert air,
- capacitors for Mars rovers,
- operation of the most powerful laser in the world
- the emergence of a local superhub for artificial intelligence.
A unique and extensive scientific base is being built in Czechia. Czech science is interesting not only for young students who decide what to do after high school but also for experts from all over the world. The long-term effort of the European funds is to support the mobility of young scientists and professionals. This activity is also sponsored by many other organizations that help scientists to find employment not only in Czechia but also abroad.
CZECH REPUBLIC: The Country For The Future
Recently, the new Innovation Strategy of Czechia 2019-2030 was announced by the Czech government. With its new strategy titled Czech Republic: The Country for the Future, Czechia aims to become an innovation leader in Europe. The Strategy Framework agreed on by the Academy of Sciences, universities, company representatives, science institutions and ministries, includes a complete innovation chain from the support of basic research, through applied research, development to industrial applications, and support of enterprise innovation.
The Czech Academy of Sciences (CAS) is set up as a complex of 54 public research institutions. The Academy employs over 8,000 employees, more than half of whom are researchers with university degrees.
The primary mission of the CAS and its institutes is to conduct research in a broad spectrum of the natural, technical and social sciences and the humanities. Researchers of the Academy institutes also participate in education, particularly through doctoral study programmes for young researchers and by teaching at universities as well. The Academy also fosters collaboration with applied research and industry. The integration of Czech science into the international context is being promoted by means of numerous joint international research projects and through the exchange of scientists with counterpart institutions abroad.
Czexpats in Science is a platform of Czech scientists and scientists living abroad. This initiative aims
- to connect Czech scientists abroad with each other and with scientists and scientific institutions in Czechia
- to help scientists abroad with the first orientation in the environment of Czech science
- to provide researchers living abroad the opportunity to positively inspire and influence Czech science
- to support the mobility of Czech researchers, especially by sharing experience and information between Czech researchers at foreign institutions with those who are just preparing for a longer scientific stay outside Czechia
EURAXESS - Researchers in Motion is a unique pan-European initiative delivering information and support services to professional researchers. Backed by the European Union, member states, and associated countries, it supports researcher mobility and career development, while enhancing scientific collaboration between Europe and the world.
EURAXESS is also your gateway to Science4Refugees, a Commission's initiative helping refugee researchers find suitable jobs in today's challenging research landscape. Part of the initiative, is the Science4Refugees Research Buddies, supporting refugee scientists in finding European researchers to discuss problems, find solutions, and study together, by matching their research field, scientific studies, and interests.
RENOWNED CZECH SCIENTISTS and brands
Czechia is the home of many prominent scientists, thinkers and innovators whose essential discoveries and inventions in many areas of human research and knowledge have influenced the lives of people around the world. The Czech Innovation Expo represents the 100-year history of the country in the fields of research and science, traditional world-recognized industrial brands, and also the emerging new generation of representatives of the scientific, innovative and entrepreneurial sphere.