Work while or after studying

Many students work and study at the same time. Having a part-time job or summer work is very common in Czechia. There are also opportunities for international students to work, but the range of jobs may be limited as most jobs require fluency in Czech. However, many international companies operate in big cities and your ability to speak or understand several languages can be an advantage.


  • Minimum gross salary for full-time jobs (40 hours per week): 18 900 CZK per month or 112,50 CZK per hour (2024)
  • Average gross salary for full-time jobs (40 hours per week): 42 658 CZK per month (2023)
  • A typical rate for part-time jobs: mostly around 150-200 CZK per hour 

For current exchange rates click here.

Can I work while studying?

Would you like to find a job in Czechia while studying at the university? You can, but please bear in mind that you are staying in Czechia on basis of a visa for study purposes, therefore paid work cannot be your primary occupation during your stay. Your work should not affect your studies. The process depends on where you come from, and if you are a full-time student or a graduate. 

EU/EEA or Switzerland citizens

Citizens of EU/EEA countries and Switzerland or their family members do not need an employment permit, Employee Card or Blue Card to be employed on the territory of Czechia. These nationals have the same legal status as citizens of Czechia, as the country is a member of the European Union. For more information have a look at the portal of the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs.

OTHER THAN EU/EEA (SO-CALLED Third-country citizens)

Third-country students (i.e. not EU/EAA or Swiss citizens) studying in Czechia in a present (daily) form of studies in a degree programme accredited by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports don’t need an employment permit. The employer is only obliged to notify the relevant regional office of the Public Employment Service about the start of your work.

Other third-country students are allowed to work in Czechia without an employment permit too, but only if they are up to the age of 26 and their workload may not exceed seven consecutive calendar days or a total of 30 days per calendar year.

In all other cases, the citizens who do not come from the EU/EEA countries or Switzerland may be employed in Czechia if they have obtained an employment permit and a residence permit, or an Employee Card or a Blue Card (both cards combine a work permit and a residence permit in one document). The local Employment Office shall always be the relevant contact point for issuing the employment permit. The work permit is issued for a definite period, a maximum of two years, however; a foreigner may even apply for an employment permit repeatedly. Please note that the work permit is only valid provided the following attributes are specified in the decision: the employer, the type of work you will be performing, and the location where your work will take place.

For more information visit the portal of the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs.


In Czechia, career centres often operate at universities to help students prepare for their entry into the labour market. Students have the opportunity to try out a mock selection process, test their strengths and weaknesses, or attend professional or personal development courses. One of the great benefits of career centres is that they link students directly with companies looking for temporary workers, interns or employees. Many schools organise job fairs, talks or roundtables, and some even run their own career portals to connect students and graduates with employers.


When looking for a job, try career centers and info desks at universities first, as the faculties should have contacts in a variety of industries. You can also ask your friends, classmates, local students, or teachers. Besides, you can start your search through the job portals (e.g. Jobs, ExpatsEmployment Offices' database or EURES) or contact directly someone from a chosen company. It is usual to send an e-mail to a potential employer; phone calls are not normally preferred. You should send a CV together with a cover letter. Be prepared for an interview.

After graduation, all international alumni have free access to the labor market. If you hold a long-term residence permit for study purposes and you have completed university education (from study programme accredited by the Ministry of Education), you may apply for a long-term residence permit for the purpose of seeking employment or, as the case may be, an application for a long-term residence permit for the purpose of starting a business

Find out more about working in Czechia after graduation on Czechia Alumni website!

what to do in case of problems

The Labour Code applies to everyone equally, whether your are a Czech citizen or a foreigner. If you work in bad conditions or don‘t get paid at work, you can get free help from experts. Here are a few tips from the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs.